Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 12:20:23 -0700
From:      Tenebrae <tenebrae_BSD@niceboots.com>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 04:01:43PM -0700, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> My .02:

<trimmed down to a ha'penny>

> What I think would be a better way of approaching it is to
> incorporate some method of informing users during the upgrade
> process, probably part of mergemaster, of what has changed in
> /etc/defaults.  I think Doug's addition of the -c option is a start,
> but I don't think it goes far enough, personally.
>
> What would be really cool is a mechanism in mergemaster that reads
> the version info in your current /etc/defaults/rc.conf file (for
> those of us that don't update frequently), and then spits out a list
> of changes made since that file was last updated. (as Mike Meyer
> noted, including changes in syntax which wouldn't be picked-up by a
> simple diff)
>
> A section of mergemaster which prints key "heads up" items pertaining
> to the current build would also be extremely helpful.  Sometimes we
> forget to read UPDATING, (sometimes the important info isn't there),
> sometimes we miss some key piece of info amongst all the other stuff
> in the file, and sometimes we just need to be reminded to do
> something before rebooting and discovering the box broke in some
> unexpected way.  (An example of a similiar previous improvement in
> mergemaster was a year or 2 ago when it incorporated the re-make
> aliases and devices feature at the end of the merging process, which
> I think was a excellent idea)

Erm...
<sarcasm>
Well then, maybe have mergemaster cat /usr/src/UPDATING at the start.
Or rename it to README.1ST.
</sarcasm>

I think FreeBSD is great because it doesn't treat us like idiots, but
it's so simple to use that even this idiot can install, setup, and
maintain it.
								-Tenebrae.
---
The sending of any unsolicited email advertising messages to this domain
may result in the imposition of civil liability against you in accordance
with Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code Section 17538.45.