Date:      Thu, 11 May 1995 15:58:11 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@Shockwave.COM>
To:        Danny Boulet <danny@nahanni.BouletFermat.ab.ca>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, ugen@netvision.net.il
Subject:   Re: Security options for NFS?

  > I've got FreeBSD 2.0 on a CD-ROM so I can provide diffs that should allow
  > ipfirewall v2.0 to be installed on FreeBSD 2.0.  Unfortunately, I don't
  > run FreeBSD on any machine that I've got access to so I can't test the
  > diffs (I use BSD/OS v2.0 for all my ipfirewall development).  Contact me
  > directly (danny@bouletfermat.ab.ca) if you're interested in these diffs.
  > Once someone running FreeBSD has verified that they work, I'll include them
  > in my standard release.
  >
  > -Danny
  >
  > P.S. A bound 30 page user's guide is provided to those who contribute the
  > suggested minimum shareware amount ($60 Canadian or roughly $44 US these
  > days).

Hi, it's generally our policy to not incorporate shareware into the base
operating system.  The ipfirewall code present in FreeBSD 2.0 was writen by
Ugen J.S. Antsilevich (ugen@netvision.net.il) to be a look-and-feel clone
of yours (but not using any of your actual code).

Given that you do have access to the FreeBSD source via your CDrom, it
might be prudent for you to review the code that we are currently shipping
to make sure you are comfortable with the representation I made above
(i.e. that it's a clone written from the BSDI man page, and not your original
code).

If you would be willing to release your new code under a standard BSD
copyright, and drop the shareware requirement, I think there'd be a lot
of users who would be extremely interested in porting it into FreeBSD.

Paul

p.s. yes, in case you're wondering, I'm also the "other" Paul Traina from
     cisco.  I deliberately have not looked at or done any work on the
     FreeBSD firewall code because I don't want to create a conflict of
     interest with cisco.

     If you would be interested in dicussing firewall features offline,
     I'd love to chat with you about yours.