Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:31:51 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   changed to: Frac T3?

>I'm beginning to buy this like of thinking.
>My original thinking was that I've seen disk fail more than anything
>on our FreeBsd servers so that I didn't feel comfortable with the
>idea of having a box with a disk running as a router.
>On the other hand the idea of one of our server having a disk failure
>doesn't cause fear in my heart the way having our Cisco fail does.
>I know that we have enough parts in house to rebuild almost any
>server from scratch in a couple of hours. We can get additional
>parts any day of the week, almost any time of the day. On the
>other hand if the Cisco's power supply or motherboard die we're
>in trouble. We do have dual Ethernets and dual T1s still, it's
>a bottleneck.
>
>So, I guess we'll start considering using T1 cards and FreeBSD boxes,
>just need to have a spare T1 card.
>Now, if someone would only offer a T3 card we'd be really happy.

If only someone could get Freebsd to switch 17,000pps or more....

Whats the fractional T3 market? We're comtemplating putting an
HSSI on our new PCI card (don't even ask!) which would be able
to do ~32Mbs. To do full T3 would require redesign, and I dont think
FreeBSD or any other unix platform could reliably switch 86Mbs, so
I'm not sure its worth the effort. The advantage of the 32Mbs solution is
that there would be no driver that needs to be written...it would just be
an interface (HSSI vs V.35) difference on our standard product.

Dennis