Date:      25 Nov 2002 12:28:52 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Style(9) question

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> writes:

> I always try to be as gentle as I can, when I need to make changes to
> submitted patches, and I can only hope that it doesn't make anyone too
> upset, leading them to stop working with FreeBSD.

People should accept, without getting too upset, committers' authority
to make such changes and committers should accept, without getting too
upset, patchers' not-too-upset commments about the change.

Giorgos' suggested practice of briefing patchers about what was changed
and why (and not just saying "committed with changes", forcing patchers
to dig through freebsd.org for diffs) goes a long way towards smoothing
over the natural offense to patchers's feelings than tend to occur with
any change.  It tends to head off the suspicion that the committer is
just riding rough-shod over the patcher and slipping in, without notice,
changes that the patcher is likely to not want made,

Even better (for the patcher, and debatably for FreeBSD, but not for the
committer) is giving the patcher a chance to comment on a proposed
change before committing the change.  But people should tolerate a lot
of maybe-too-fast change commits so as to keep things moving and not
over-work the committer.  The patcher can always do another PR, if he
thinks it's important.