Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 03:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/20445: restore(8) -r and -R don't use mktemp(3)

The following reply was made to PR bin/20445; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To: Jon Masami Kuroda <jkuroda@EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 12:16:39 +0200

 On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:37:22 MST, Jon Masami Kuroda wrote:

 > This "bug" should not have any security impact if I understand open(2)
 > and the "O_EXCL" flag correctly.  It is, so far, just a productivity
 > annoyance.

 While that's certainly the way it looks to me, I'm very uncomfortable
 with proceding without finding out _why_ OpenBSD's rev 1.3 was required.
 Essentially, your patch proposes that we revert NetBSD's rev 1.3.  The
 CVS log for that delta implies that the patch you propose will somehow
 break the -r and -R options.

 I'm not sure whether <lukem@supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au> is still a
 deliverable address.  Perhaps you could chat to Theo and ask him why the
 revision was introduced in the first place?

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.