Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:34:45 -0800
From:      sdn@slip.net (Steve Davidson)
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound card: Compaq  ES1868

I have read the FAQ, manual, and i386/isa/sound/sound.doc and still am
having trouble understanding the configuration for sound.

The Compaq ES1868 is an ISA card and I cannot determine the irq or
dma settings.  Does the kernel set the card on boot up?

If I knew the settings, would I still have to load several drivers
in order to take full advantage of the card's capabilities?

Is there software that I can use to determine if I have done everything
properly?  I.e. is there software that plays a range of sounds for several
of the sound protocols?