Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:33:45 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mark E Larson <markl@agis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extended memory in 2.2.1

>Howdy!
>
>Ok.  I tried adding this line in the 2.2.1 kernel
>
>options	"maxmem=1024*384"
>
>To reconize 384M of RAM.   This worked under 2.1.5, but in 2.2.1 upon boot
>up the kernel says "memory bounce  rebooting in 15 secs"

   Please provide the EXACT kernel message. I can't help you without that.
I see that people have already pointed out that the above should be:

options		"MAXMEM=393216"

   ...as the arithmetic may not work as intended. Be sure the kernel reports
the proper amount of memory in the startup message. Also, it is not necessary
to send messages like this to multiple mailing lists. hackers or questions
would have been sufficient.

-DG

David Greenman