Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:48:06 +0100
From:      Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        John F Carr <jfc@mit.edu>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>,  freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD Mailing List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-xen@freebsd.org" <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>,  Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, =?UTF-8?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=C3=A9?= <royger@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade an EOL FreeBSD release or how to make it working again

--0000000000007e39b1060f007600

Hello.

Do you have deleted forever the set of packages and ports for FreeBSD 11 or
you keep them stored in DVDs that I can buy or download for a small amount
of money ? If yes,where ? To rebuild everything is out of my expertise.

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 7:15=E2=80=AFPM David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.or=
g> wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2024, at 16:46, Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The ARM Chromebook is based on armv7,it is still recent.
>
> For reference, the ARMv7 architecture was introduced in 2005.  The last
> cores that implemented the architecture were released in 2014.  This is n=
ot
> a =E2=80=98recent=E2=80=99 architecture, it=E2=80=99s one that=E2=80=99s =
19 years old and has been largely
> [...]
> So,do you know some methods to install even packages or ports ? You
> know,there are cases when you need to do some experiments so that you can
> keep your machine off the internet,so you aren't scared that someone can
> compromise it. Totally prohibiting the users to use an old system,removin=
> ports and packages is not a choice that I approve of. And I'm not the onl=
> one that thinks like this.
>
> If you want to use an old and unsupported version of FreeBSD, no one is
> stopping you, but:
>
>  - You will need to build the releases.  The source code is still in git,
> you can.  The scripts for building the release images are right there in
> the repo.  Just grab the relevant release or releng branch and go.
>
>  - You will need to build packages.  Newer versions of the ports tree wil=
> not be tested with the older release, so you may need to use an older
> checkout of the ports tree.  Poudriere will build a package repo for you.
>
> In both cases, if you=E2=80=99re using older versions you almost certainl=
y *will*
> have security vulnerabilities.  The project strongly advises you not to d=
> this and not to blame us when you install known-insecure software and end
> up compromised.
>
> The project does not have enough active contributors to keep maintaining
> things indefinitely.  This is why release have a five-year supported
> lifetime.  If you want to pick up an old branch and maintain it, you=E2=
=80=99re
> welcome to.  In the past, companies have picked up old branches and
> maintained them for customers that had a dependency on them.  If you want
> to pay someone to maintain an old branch (and have deep pockets) then the=
re
> are probably a few companies that will happily take your money.
>
> Maintaining binaries is a slightly different issue, but it=E2=80=99s not =
totally
> unrelated.  Keeping old packages around consumes disk space and costs the
> project money (remember, every package is mirrored across the CDN, so thi=
> isn=E2=80=99t just a single disk).  Even if it were free, philosophically=
, I think
> making it easy for users to install known-insecure software is a bad idea
> but if you want to keep a package repo with out-of-date packages online
> indefinitely then you can.  You can run Poudriere and even cross-compile
> from a fairly beefy cloud machine quite easily.
>
> It=E2=80=99s been a while since I did a full package build, but I would g=
uess that
> you could do a single package build (all ports) for about $50 on a cloud
> VM, more (2-3x) if it=E2=80=99s emulated.  Storing the results for a smal=
l number
> of users will cost around $10-20/month.  If you think this is an importan=
> thing to do, then you are absolutely welcome to spend your own money on

--=20
Mario.

--0000000000007e39b1060f007600

orever the set of packages and ports for FreeBSD 11 or you keep them stored=
 in DVDs that I can buy or download for a small amount of money ? If yes,wh=
v class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jan 1=
5, 2024 at 7:15=E2=80=AFPM David Chisnall &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:theraven@fr=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On 15 Jan 2024, at 16:46, Mario Marietto &=
lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marietto2008@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">marietto2008=
@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; The ARM Chromebook is based on armv7,it is still recent.<br>
For reference, the ARMv7 architecture was introduced in 2005.=C2=A0 The las=
t cores that implemented the architecture were released in 2014.=C2=A0 This=
 is not a =E2=80=98recent=E2=80=99 architecture, it=E2=80=99s one that=E2=
=80=99s 19 years old and has been largely dead for several years.<br>
&gt; But let&#39;s change perspective for a moment,don&#39;t think about th=
e ARM Chromebook. My question is : how to upgrade FreeBSD when it goes EOL.=
Generally, run `freebsd-update`.=C2=A0 This is a very different question fr=
om =E2=80=98how do I do a new install of an old an unsupported version?&#39=
;<br>
&gt; I ask this because there is a huge difference here between FreeBSD and=
 Linux. Today if you need to use , for example Ubuntu 14.0, you can use it =
as is. Yes,there will be a lot of bugs,but it will work without crashes.=C2=
=A0 But if you want to use an old FreeBSD system,nothing will work for you.=
 So,do you know some methods to install even packages or ports ? You know,t=
here are cases when you need to do some experiments so that you can keep yo=
ur machine off the internet,so you aren&#39;t scared that someone can compr=
omise it. Totally prohibiting the users to use an old system,removing ports=
 and packages is not a choice that I approve of. And I&#39;m not the only o=
ne that thinks like this.<br>
If you want to use an old and unsupported version of FreeBSD, no one is sto=
pping you, but:<br>
=C2=A0- You will need to build the releases.=C2=A0 The source code is still=
 in git, you can.=C2=A0 The scripts for building the release images are rig=
ht there in the repo.=C2=A0 Just grab the relevant release or releng branch=
 and go.<br>
=C2=A0- You will need to build packages.=C2=A0 Newer versions of the ports =
tree will not be tested with the older release, so you may need to use an o=
lder checkout of the ports tree.=C2=A0 Poudriere will build a package repo =
for you.=C2=A0 <br>
In both cases, if you=E2=80=99re using older versions you almost certainly =
*will* have security vulnerabilities.=C2=A0 The project strongly advises yo=
u not to do this and not to blame us when you install known-insecure softwa=
re and end up compromised.<br>
The project does not have enough active contributors to keep maintaining th=
ings indefinitely.=C2=A0 This is why release have a five-year supported lif=
etime.=C2=A0 If you want to pick up an old branch and maintain it, you=E2=
=80=99re welcome to.=C2=A0 In the past, companies have picked up old branch=
es and maintained them for customers that had a dependency on them.=C2=A0 I=
f you want to pay someone to maintain an old branch (and have deep pockets)=
 then there are probably a few companies that will happily take your money.=
Maintaining binaries is a slightly different issue, but it=E2=80=99s not to=
tally unrelated.=C2=A0 Keeping old packages around consumes disk space and =
costs the project money (remember, every package is mirrored across the CDN=
, so this isn=E2=80=99t just a single disk).=C2=A0 Even if it were free, ph=
ilosophically, I think making it easy for users to install known-insecure s=
oftware is a bad idea but if you want to keep a package repo with out-of-da=
te packages online indefinitely then you can.=C2=A0 You can run Poudriere a=
nd even cross-compile from a fairly beefy cloud machine quite easily.<br>
It=E2=80=99s been a while since I did a full package build, but I would gue=
ss that you could do a single package build (all ports) for about $50 on a =
cloud VM, more (2-3x) if it=E2=80=99s emulated.=C2=A0 Storing the results f=
or a small number of users will cost around $10-20/month.=C2=A0 If you thin=
k this is an important thing to do, then you are absolutely welcome to spen=
d your own money on doing it.<br>
David<br>
iv>

--0000000000007e39b1060f007600--