Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 02:33:14 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TS Holy War (was Re: Some advice needed.)

At 04:15 PM 4/12/97 -0400, spork wrote:
>I've been working at an ISP for a year and a half now (which I guess isn't
>all that long...) and I do chuckle somewhat upon looking at this thread.

Wanna bet you learned a lot in just the first 6 months?

>The number one thing I've learned so far is to not trust anyone's
>estimates of cost/time that you will expend making everything work.  *NO
>matter WHAT* the customer base is assumed to be, you need tech support
>people.  We have some very intelligent customers that know a whole bunch
>about their own networks and machines that call up with *very* stupid
>questions...  The reason is that the ISP business is a service business
>first and foremost before it's a technical biz.  Ask anyone who's
>making money.  I used to have to field calls, and even now, I'll be
>working along on schedule and get some panicked customer going nuts that
>pulls me off of a project and ruins my day.

Hehe.  I take some normal tech calls or should say take over, but then I am
working on something and want to see if they are being effected by
something new or some tweaking.  Still some people expect our techs to help
them with *any* problem.  One person can't fax?!  And...

>We started with absolute crap equipment (not my choice, BTW) and it came
>very close to bringing the company down.  Your competition can afford real
>modems and term servers that connect 99% of the time and give a nice
>healthy thruput.  You need that too.  Any luser can see if ISP A is
>"faster" than ISP B with no technical knowledge involved.  Stand alone
>modems are a fast ticket to troubleshooting hell.

The thing here as well is your provider(s).  Network problems and latency
that affects you, but the "other" guy is running smooth...

>As for servers, seperate everything from the get-go.  Put mail on one
>machine, shell on another, and web on another.  I was around for a
>migration from one machine to 12, and it wasn't pretty; in fact it was a
>customer service nightmare....

Why 12?  How many customers and server breakdown?

>I guess the bottom line is, if you're doing this as a business, have the
>$$ (or a nice leasing program ;) and spare no expense where reliability is
>concerned.  Buy good modems (that will hopefully support some 56K crap
>that your users will be calling about every day), use a solid OS like
>FBSD, get Seagate drives, and go with the stand alone router (not so much
>for performance, but to learn the Cisco IOS so you can talk intelligently
>with other router-heads)...

Leasing is not an option, unless you bank the startup money and use it as
collateral and even then, if you have not been in business for at least a
year "No." is the answer.

Modems are the killer.  At first I was very pleased with the SupraFaxModem,
which allowed us to expand faster/sooner.  Then the never ending beta
started and I became less than pleased.  Couriers?  Finally got them and
the change from Courier and PM2 to PM3 was easy.  The PM3s are on lease and
we have a $0 install fee for CT1 or PRI, as well as paying less than what
we pay for POTS.

I'll truely be happy when I get to tear down the modems in about a week.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990