Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:22:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jas@flyingfox.COM (Jim Shankland)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI card?

Jim Shankland stands accused of saying:

> I'm building up a couple of systems around the Asus P55T2P4
> mainboard and a P133 CPU.  I had planned on adding the Asus
> SC200 SCSI card, which is built around the NCR53C810; but the
> local computer shop recommended against that, saying that the
> SC200 must use IRQ0, and that I will therefore have trouble if I
> try to run non-Microsoft operating systems.  I'm afraid I don't
> know enough about the PCI bus architecture even to know if this
> is gibberish or not.  (Hey, at least they know there *are*
> non-Microsoft OS's!)  I've also seen references to the NCR SCSI
> BIOS, but I'm unclear on whether this is an extra-cost option
> or not.
>
> Can anyone help shed some light here?

They're bullshitting you (probably because their margin on other SCSI
cards like the Adaptec is much higher 8( ).

We use the SC200 extensively, and have been _very_ happy with them; our
particular preference is that they have onboard active termination, where
cheaper NCR cards have passive termination.

Also, you might want to point out to the moron in the shop that PCI
interrupts are lettered (INTA, INTB, INTC, INTD), not numbered, and
that INTA on one slot is _NOT_ connected to INTA on any other slot.