Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 11:12:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How stable is -current?

:	Ok, that's good news. I'd like to stick with -stable if I can. No
:pressure, but do you have an ETA on the VM backport? I'm assuming that
:something like that is "down the road," probably after 3.2?

    There's no ETA at the moment.  I'm hoping that modifications to -current's
    VM system will settle down in the next couple of months and then we'll see.

:	Hrrrmm... ok. So what could happen due to this bug, and how would I
:spot it? Meanwhile I'll keep an eye on the commits for that NFS
:backport. Thanks muchly for the update. :)
:
:Doug

    Programs which expect the space in the mmap after the logical file EOF
    to be filled with zero will break.  Very few programs make this assumption,
    because space in an mmap after the logical EOF is supposed to generate a
    segfault if accessed ( but, obviously, cannot for space past the EOF in the
    'last page' that contains the last fragment of file data ).

    It is more a security issue then anything else.  For example, if you are
    mapping a file fragment you may wind up being able to access (read only)
    fragmentary data from other files that you would normally not have access
    to.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:--
:***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***
:
:Nominated for quote of the year is the statement made by Representative
:Dick Armey (Texas), who when asked if he were in the President's place,
:would he resign, responded:
:
:"If I were in the President's place I would not get a chance to resign.
:I would be lying in a pool of my own blood hearing Mrs. Armey standing
:over me saying, 'How do I reload this damn thing?'"
: