Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:07:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, rick-freebsd2009@kiwi-computer.com, barbara.xxx1975@libero.it
Subject:   Re: nspluginwrapper(-devel) and core dumps

Rick C. Petty wrote:
 > Barbara <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it> wrote:
 > >
 > > I tried adding "-c 1" to the ulimit line, but I got (note -m):
 > >     $ du -m npviewer.bin.core
 > >     1126    npviewer.bin.core
 > >
 > > Do you thing that changing the value for -s can help?
 > > Which value would you suggest to try?
 >
 > Hmm, have you tried "-c 0" instead?  Another place to fix it system-wide is
 > in /etc/login.conf.  I've sometimes changed or added the line:
 >         :coredumpsize=0:\
 >
 > Of course that only affects subsequent logins, not current ones.  I believe
 > in either case if you set it to zero, you get no core dump file at all.

If you don't need coredumps at all, you can easily disable
them globally (i.e. system-wide) with this sysctl command
(as root).  It takes effect immediately.

# sysctl kern.coredump=0

To do that automatically every time the machine boots, add
this line to /etc/sysctl.conf:

kern.coredump=0

Best regards
   Oliver

"If you aim the gun at your foot and pull the trigger, it's
UNIX's job to ensure reliable delivery of the bullet to
where you aimed the gun (in this case, Mr. Foot)."
        -- Terry Lambert, FreeBSD-hackers mailing list.