Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:10:48 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Bryan Bursey <bbmail@cfdnet.me.tuns.ca>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, grog@lemis.com, khera@kciLink.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels

[snip]

> 		1.  If you have updated your sources, the process of building
> a kernel may depend on which version of certain tools may be
> installed.  Therefore, the only safe way to build a kernel on such a
> machine is to do the following:
>
> 			make buildworld
> 			make buildkernel
> 			make installkernel
> 			shutdown (drop into single-user mode)
> 			make installworld
> 			mergemaster
> 			reboot
>
> 		These steps require that you have defined "KERNEL=WHATEVER"
> in /etc/make.conf.  If you have not, you will need to add
> "kernel=WHATEVER" to the "make installkernel" command above.  This
> will install the kernel /WHATEVER, and you will need to have
> "kernel=/WHATEVER" in /etc/bootloader.conf.
>
> 		2.  If you have not updated your sources and just want to
> rebuild the kernel with the sources you already have, use the
> standard procedure:
>
> 			config WHATEVER
> 			cd ../../compile/WHATEVER
> 			make depend
> 			make
> 			make install
>

> 	Note that the steps given in #1 above will install a copy of the
> GENERIC kernel.  If you have a customized kernel, you'll need to
> follow those instructions to install the GENERIC kernel, and then
> follow the steps in #2 above to install your customized kernel.

This last paragraph sound wrong to me.  If you've defined
'KERNEL=SOMETHING', then it will build the kernel defined by the SOMETHING
config file, and _not_ GENERIC.

We might also want to include the specifics of the 'chflags' commands that
need to be issued for those that prefer not to modify /boot/loader.conf
and have the kernel named 'kernel'.

Cheers,
Bryan