Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:08:08 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Peihan Wang <peihanw@mx.cei.gov.cn>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS1 (command line prompt) in .profile

On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 09:57:44PM +0800, Peihan Wang wrote:

> Hello , gurus !
>
> I am using bash (version: 2.01) on my 2.2.6 box.
> I put the following line in my .profile:
>
> PS1='`pwd`$ '
>
> It works well in console mode, But after I start X
> it does not take any effect in xterm. By the way,
> I am using lesstif as my window manager. I do not
> know what to do :-(

Read your man page. Bash uses 2 init file, .bashrc and .bash_profile.
.bash_profile gets run when you first login. .bashrc get run for each term
that your account/process create. So in your .bash_profile you would have
the line

    export PS1='`pwd`$ '

That should do it

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.7
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses