Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 21:47:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Eisenbraun <bpeisenbraun@yahoo.com>
To:        Matthew Swinbourne <matt@soe.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Troubleshooting methodology (was: Can't Compile Kernel..  Error Message 'miibus_if.h: No such file  or directory')

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Matthew Swinbourne wrote:

> ../../pci/if_vr.c:99: miibus_if.h: No such file or directory
> mkdep: compile failed
> *** Error code 1

I saw that someone already answered your question, but here's a tip on
troubleshooting methodology: any time I get an error during a compile, I
like to take a look at the file that generated the error.  In this case, I
knew where the specified file was, but if I didn't, I would have done
something like this:

>>find / -name "*if_vr.c*" -print | less

That could take a while depending on the speed of your disks and how much
data is on them.  Since we know it's a source code file, we can narrow it
down by making the target a little more specific:

>>find /usr/src -name "*if_vr.c*" -print | less

From lines 98-99 of /usr/src/sys/pci/if_vr.c:

/* "controller miibus0" required.  See GENERIC if you get errors here. */
#include "miibus_if.h"

The first line there is a comment by the driver developer that basically
answers your question.  The compiler was nice enough to spit out the
problematic line number, so it's pretty easy to find in the file.  For
your particular ethernet card, you need *two* lines in the kernel config:

device          miibus          # MII bus support device
device          vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II

You can take a look at both GENERIC and LINT for a little more
info.  Another thing I like about poking through the source code is that
the developers frequently add interesting/insightful/humorous comments
about both their code and the hardware their writing it for.

I'm pretty new at admining/using FreeBSD, so if I've made any
mistakes or misspoke, someone please correct me.  Anyway, hope this helps.

-ben