Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:21:35 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can this really be true? FreeBSD not working on IBM T20's

Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> Is this really the situation, that FreeBSD is not booting on the latest
> IBM thinkpads? That would really be a pity, since I was going to buy
> such a nice little beast after newyear.
>
> http://bsdtoday.com/2000/November/News342.html

No, it isn't a case of FreeBSD "not booting" - installing FreeBSD on the
laptop causes the BIOS to lock up solid and never even get around to running
the boot code in the MBR etc.  You have to take the drive out of the *20 series.
You cannot boot from floppy, CD, anything..  You cannot even get into the
BIOS setup.  The only way to recover is to either take the drive out,
attach an IDE adapter and boot it on another machine to zero the disk, or
put the drive in another thinkpad and boot it there and nuke it from within
freebsd.  If you do not have an adaptor or a second older thinkpad, then
the only option is to return it for repair.

There are several theories about what is going on. One item worthy of note
is that if the FreeBSD partition is not marked "active", then there is no
problem.  Also, somebody (dcs?) has commented that it doesn't have to be
patition ID 165 - apparently the bios has a list of *known* partition types
and it is choking on the first *unknown* (to it) fdisk partition.

Whatever the case, it is a BIOS bug.  There is no excuse for the bios
to be unable to go into bios setup mode.

Cheers,
-Peter