Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:50:23 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        gzeigler@texasonline.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question from a neophyte... Why isn't rc.local being read?

Michael Lucas wrote:

> rc.local is deprecated.  Drop a shell script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

Not really.  Some of us prefer to have commands to start things in one
nice list in /etc/rc.local, rather than loads of separate shell scripts
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  There's no reason I can see for rc.local not to
get read at boot time.  I'd recommend the original poster compare his
other /etc/rc* files with those in /usr/src/etc to make sure there has
been no local modification to remove the code which calls rc.local.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D