Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:30:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Steve Roome <steve@snuggly.demon.co.uk>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fxtv + gogo [was Re: gogo + 3dnow]

     Yukihiro Nakai <nakai@gnome.gr.jp>
> Cc: multimedia@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: gogo + 3dnow
>
> [Re: GOGO, a very fast MP3 encoder]
>
> Steve Roome:
>  |I've just been having a play with it, and it's looking to me
>  |like 3dnow, and even the extra new 3dnow stuff in the athlon
>  |could come in quite handy for this sort of stuff...
>
> Yukihiro Nakai:
>  |I'm the maintainer of gogo :-)
>  |The gogo 2.26a supports Athlon but you need a patched nasm
>  |(maybe you did it) or 3dnow tool by the gogo author..
>  |I put the test version of port here:
>  |http://daemon.gnome.gr.jp/~nakai/gogo.tar.gz
>

> Hey, thanks for the tip guys.  Very nice!  On my AMD K6-III 400, I get an
> amazing 3.4X speed-up on the gogo tests with 3DNow! enabled.  (No Enhanced
> 3DNow or SSE here since I don't have an Athelon or P-III.)

Okay then... I'm using pcm and the sound from fxtv is coming in on line2
(although xmmix tells me it's line1 -- eh?!) so I needed to add this to
TVAUDIOSetMixerMask() (in fxtv's tvaudio.c)

   else if ( STREQ( buf, "LINE2" ) ) {
       	printf("Using Line2\n");
        Mixer_dev_id   = SOUND_MIXER_LINE2;
        Mixer_dev_mask = SOUND_MIXER_LINE2;
        Mixer_dev_name = "LINE2";
    }

(just stick it in the if statement =) )

This means I can now record sound... Is there any chance we can get all
the mixer devices working properly though, [not sure what would need to be
done for this] - as this hack later whines at me that it can't set LINE2
volume (probably because I'm not using voxware - it does record okay
though!)

Anyway. some thoughts - could fxtv be made to output to a fifo ? (instead
of trying to delete the file straight away!) and would this be useful ?

It doesn't seem too tricky, and as long as I use a little wrapper around
gogo to convert to pcm then use gogo on the sound it's relatively
straightforward..

But .. can we get this happening in real time ? This was why I asked about
a fifo output - gogo seems happy with the input file being a fifo
anyway, and if we could get Fxtv outputting to a fifo it would become
feasible to actually record to mp3 in realtime from the telly.

Then all we need is a super quick video encoder and we're away with some
serious replacement VHS kit on our hands =)

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit much here...

	Steve