Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:46:58 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE [was: Where's X go?]

Sue Blake wrote:

> > That's what I picked up from
> > freebsd-newbies/freebsd-stable/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
>
> You don't read freebsd-questions, but you read freebsd-stable?
> That's an unusual choice.

You're right it is kinda weird. It all stemmed from the fact that I knew
that freebsd-questions is a very high volume mailing list, and I'm on
the end of a very slow connection which already carries a lot of mail. I
was trying to find a list which had an 'intermediate' volume, I know
that this isn't what -stable was intended for, but I subscribed before I
really understood the mailing list system. I'll subscribe to -questions
tonight.

> > In my opinion all this reading has got me far better prepared then any
> > FAQ or handbook. There is a better way then learning by making mistakes,
> > and that's learning from other people's mistakes! :-)
>
> Hmmm, you might have made your first two learning mistakes already if you
> have avoided the FAQ and Handbook, and if you have chosen not to read
> freebsd-questions.

I didn't avoid the Handbook or FAQ at all! I just forgot to mention
them! :-) I downloaded them and devoted a considerable amount of time to
looking through them, and I still refer to them when I get lost in a
conversation on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

> You don't need to read freebsd-stable unless you are going to follow that
> branch, which is not the appropriate way to go for most people,
> especially newbies. What you read there will not apply to the current
> RELEASE version. The Handbook explains the differences.

Agreed. I just didn't understand this when I subscribed.

> Regards,
>         -*Sue*-

Thanks again Sue, for clearing up some of the freebsd-gray areas.
(joke!)
--
Andrew Boothman : andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk
(http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~boothman/andrew/)