Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:17:55 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Oliver <urnenfel@tiscali.es>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BCM2035

Oliver,

>> i'm not aware of any hci command that would allow you to re/set
>> bd_addr. i'm interested to know what did you do to make it forget
>> its bd_addr.
>
> Just casted normal commands, the initialitation ones, inquiry
> process, set auth / encrypt, get link keys and the maximun possible,
> write the class of device, i am suspecting of those last ones.

none of the above should touch device's bd_addr.

> Another of my suspects could be the casting of the RESET command
> before init process of the device... for this concrete chip...

what you mean? do you think that sending "reset" command after device
was plugged may have somehow reset bd_addr? i doubt that. the
specification says "reset" is the only way to get device back to
consistent default/initial state.

> The device is working but as it identifies itself as a null BD_ADDR
> inquiry of other devices don't catch it, but is possible to work with
> in all other features/commands. And as I could see the replies to the
> post i did in the BlueZ stack maillist you can even work with it if
> you start the connection process..

yes. i've seen these posts. you did not load any firmware to the device
did you? also can you tell if this is v1.1 or v1.2 bluetooth device?

> As well I commented in the BlueZ maillist there is some info about
> how to set the BD_ADDR to an "Ericsson ROK 101"

i would advise against this. in best case it will not work. in worst
case it could damage the device even more.

> If I dont find any solution or info form broadcom i would start to
> cast commands in this range... but if it is a combination of more
> than 1 command it is quite impossible to get it. With only 1 command,
> more possibilities to end up with it than fixing but...

the best is if you can return/exchange the device. then connect new
device to a windows box and use usb sniffer to see what usb packets
windows bluetooth stack sends to the device. this would allow to capture
windows initialization sequence and compare it to ours.

thanks,
max