Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:45:39 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        drewunf@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: watch: fatal: cannot open snoop device

On June 20, 2004 "drew schulman" <drewunf@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How do I enable this program in FreeBSD 5.2.1?
>
>It was working fine before I reinstalled.
>
>-su-2.05b# watch -co p2
>watch: snp module not available: Operation not permitted
>watch: fatal: cannot open snoop device

Before I say anything else, I should say that all questions
should be sent to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org. I'm
not allowed to actually answer your question here, but
maybe I can point you to some doc.s to help you out.

According to 'man watch':
"The watch utility allows the user to examine all data
coming through a specified tty using the snp(4) device."

According to 'man snp':
"The kernel must be compiled with device snp or the snp
device must be loaded, for these devices to be available."

(Refer to the original man pages for more info.)

Given those statements, refer to the following section
of the handbook for advice on compiling a kernel and/or
checking what configuration you used:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

Alternately, refer to the kld man page for information
on loading kernel modules.

The above links are just my guess of what may be
happening. If you do already have the snp device
available and/or continue to have trouble getting it to
work, you're encouraged to write freebsd-questions@.
(And, please include information on your kernel
configuration, etc.)

Regards,
Clayton Rollins

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up – now 3 months FREE!