Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 01:14:57 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@sour.cream.org>
To:        alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation problems

alissa bader wrote:
> Basically, I can get it to go through the install, but I sometimes get
> kind of wonky things when I try to install a package.  I get a a "fatal
> trap 12:  page fault in kernel mode."  Then the machine reboots.
>
> I have been tearing my hair out over this for the past 2 days.  I've tried
> switching hard drives, I've made a new boot disk,I have disconnected and
> reconnected everything inside that computer at least a dozen times.
>
> Please help me.  I mean, unix can't be THIS frustrating

It usually isn't!

Weird random error messages are often caused by faulty memory, so you
should try and replace that and see if it solves your poblem.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about that spacific message, so if that
doesn't help you'll have to try questions@freebsd.org and see if someone
more experienced can help you.