Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:09:53 +0200
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: /etc/rc.shutdown calls local scripts now

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000, Rahul Dhesi wrote:
> Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org> writes:
>
> >> Can we have little green "[ OK ]"s as well? :)
> >>
> >> j/k
>
> >I hope you are joking... LOL... We don't want Linux emulation to go in
> >that direction.
>
> It's not the green that's important, it's the 'OK'.  The way Redhat
> Linux boots, you can see at a glance which start-up commands failed and
> which ones succeeded.  The way FreeBSD boots, it's all one big blur.
>
> Also, in the Linux scheme, there is a standard mechanism to keep track
> of which boot-time service has already been started, and any accidental
> re-invocation of the script (without an intervening 'stop') will be
> detected and rejected.  I personally find the 'chkconfig' command to be
> very convenient to enable, disable, and list boot-time services, without
> having to manually rename xxx.sh to xxx.sh.DISABLED and back.

Well, chkconfig isn't a linux thing:

replicate 1% uname -a
IRIX replicate 6.5 05190003 IP22
replicate 2% which chkconfig
/sbin/chkconfig
replicate 3%

And its actually very useful IMHO. Thats what rc.conf is for though, right?

enable_pkg_apache="YES"
enable_pkg_qmail="YES"
enable_pkg_mysql="YES"

and so on .. ?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the
<adrian@FreeBSD.org>		rest of the evening. Set a man on fire and