Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2001 18:31:27 GMT
From:      Eric Thern <eric@zoidial.com>
To:        Simon Nielsen <simon@nitro.dk>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel-loadable Root Kits < securelevel >

> > > Reboot.. and if you set the securelevel automaticly on boot (e.g.=

> > > in rc.conf) you must start in single user mode after the reboot.
> > Yeah I know that this would be a way to do it but it's rather hard t=
> > do with colocated servers...
> Thats right, but i'm rather sure rebooting is the only way to lower th=
> securelevel (anyone please correct me if i'm wrong).
> >From init(8) :
> The kernel runs with four different levels of security. Any super-user=

> process can raise the security level, but no process can lower it.
> [CUT]

	Is there any possibility of having console be able to lower the=20
securelevel without rebooting?  In a situation with dedicated or=20
colocated servers where only one person has console access, it would sur=
e=20
be a wonderful thing, although I'm fairly certain there is some security=
=20
loophole in that whole mess.

-Eric