Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:27:54 +0200
From:      Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>
To:        Klaus Herrmann <klaus.herrmann@gmx.net>, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AVM Fritz PCI

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

I have downloaded a new version of i4b and used `overinstall.sh` to
upgrade. I updated the files.i386 and options.i386, and recompiled the
kernel, and it went smoothley (well, once I've done everything right, it
didn't work the first time :)). I can launch isdnd and it runs. Every once
in a while I get the message:

i4b-L1-timer4_expired: state = F3 Deactivated

Why is that? Anyways, I tried the commands in your script. `ifconfig isp0
delete -link1` and `ifconfig isp0 down` work smoothley. `spppcontrol`
gives me an error though, even when I just do `spppcontrol isp0`. The
error is:

spppcontrol: SIOCGIFGENERIC(SPPPIOGDEFS): Invalid argument

Maybe the following errors are just because this line didn't work, but
here they are anyways. I try to type this command:

ifconfig isp0 0.0.0.0 192.115.104.72 -link1 mtu 500 netmask 0xffffff00

192.115.104.72 is the DNS of my ISP. You said I should put my ISP's IP
here, I assume that is what you mean. If not, please clarify. Anyways, I
get the error:

ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

What's wrong here? Anyways, I type `ifconfig isp0 down` and no errors.
Finally, I type:

route add default -interface isp0

and I get:

route: writing to routing socket: File exists
add net default: gateway isp0: File exists

Why do all those errors occur? My krenel configuration file didn't change
from last time, nor did my isdnd.rc, and all that changed in the
/var/log/messages is that now I have the isic0: * in there that shows it
recognizes my controller.

Thanks in advance for your help. I've tried looking at the `ifconfig` and
`spppcontrol` man pages, though there was nothing that helped me there.

BTW, another weird symptom is that I can't reboot my computer with
CTRL+ALT+DEL becuase i4b gives me an error message and the comp hangs. I
can only
reboot with the `reboot` command, which takes too many keystrokes ;) Why does
the computer hang?

--
Oren Sarig
sarig@bezeqint.net

At 22:10 27/10/99 +0200, Klaus Herrmann wrote:
>> Hello all.
>>
>> I have an AVM Fritz! Card PCI and I'm running FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE with the
>> i4b that came on it. I need some help on how to connect to my ISP.
>>
>> I've compiled my kernel with ISDN support in it, and the build was
>> successful. I've copied /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc.sample to /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc
>> and modified it according to `man isdnd.rc'. However, when I try to run
>> `isdnd' with whatever parameters, I get the following errors:
>>
>> isdnd[334]: ERR init_controller: no ISDN controller found!
>> isdnd[334]: ERR init_controller: no ISDN controller found!
>> isdnd[334]: DMN daemon terminating, exitval = 1
>>
>> Why is this happenning? ISDN is compiled into my kernel, and the /dev
>> entries for the i4b devices exist. I am attaching a few files that might
>> help.
>>
>> My questions are:
>> * Why can't it find my controller?
>see below...
>> * Where is the chap-secrets hiding?
>look at this, i'm doing this via startup-scrips automaticly at boot time:
>#!/bin/sh
>ifconfig isp0 delete -link1		#take the interface to a known state
>ifconfig isp0 down                	#and down
>spppcontrol isp0 myauthproto=chap myauthname="<NAME>"
myauthsecret="<PASSWORD>"