Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 11:53:47 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Gerard Roudier <groudier@iplus.fr>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unices are created equal, but ...

>On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, dennis wrote:
>
>> Gerard Roudier says after comparing current linux to Freebsd 2.0.5.....
>>
>> >Even if this benchmark is a little questionnable, I invite people who say or
>> >write that Unix B is FASTER than Unix A to stop, or to say or write
>> >the OPPOSITE
>>
>> I think the NEW thing to say is that Linux is now only 1  year behind
FreeBSD.
>> That sounds about accurate.
>>
>> Dennis

>I am very disappointed. It seems that people of Unix B mailing list who have
>understood the true meaning of my questionnable comparison do not reply to
>that mail.
>
>1 - In France at least, Unix end users do not see lots of differences between
>    Unices.
>    They run Unix or some other proprietary systems.
>    Is that system "Unix A", "Unix B" or "Unix S"? It is not the question.
>    The question is to use a Unix system or a Gates's system.
>    A little unfair for us.
>    ( Did youd remember some recent thread in the linux kernel list?)

French backbones are so slow....how the hell would you tell the difference :)

The problem with your analysis is that most of us don't run the BYTE benchmarks
as part of our daily business requirements. BYTE is not a quality testing
LAB, mainly
because they use inappropriate benchmarks and its fairly clear that the
testers arent
experts at what they are testing. The bottom line is that I use both systems
every day
for a variety of tasks. The most important task for me is networking, and
FreeBSD is
much faster, hands down. There are also less problems and more combinations of
hardware work well. I've used 1.3.x Linux and dont see much improvement in
network
performance over 1.2.  I havent looked at a BYTE comparision in quite some
time,
mainly because they rarely pan out in real life the way they test.

In addition, there are so many combinations of hardware and drivers that
head-to-head
testing is difficult to interpret. Different tests yield different results.
But if you LOOK inside
the kernel and ANALYZE how things are done, you wont have much trouble deciding
which one to use.

Listen, they both work, and when Linux stabilizes it will be an excellent
choice. But the kernel
is a mess right now, and until they figure it out the best choice is
something with a little
continuity.

Dennis

Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous PC Cards and Routers For Discriminating
Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame Relay, PPP, HDLC,
and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD and LINUX.