Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 16:59:05 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
Cc:        FS <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Got 3.1! But some questions remains.

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Andy V. Oleynik wrote:

> Today I've finished upgrade  from 2.2.7-R to 3.1-S!

Congratulations! Although 3.2 is just about to be released in a few days
(essentially just the cleaned-up snapshot of the 3.1-stable branch). There
have been a lot of changes merged from -current lately, so it may be worth
your while to upgrade again once it comes out.

> SUBJ:
>
> Q.1. during upgrade libc.so.3.1 was not installed. Instead of it
>
> was installed libc.so.3 which I think will work with new apps
>
> I will install. My aout  libc.so.3.1 was moved in aout subdir.

Correct - ELF libs have only a single extension (libfoo.so.x instead of
libfoo.so.x.y)

> I would like to use some of my old aouts so I've symlinked
>
> aout version into /usr/lib. Now all my old aouts works fine.
>
> But after I'll install new (elf) software, there will be
>
> definite conflict. How to avoid it in the future? Any refs?

This should be unnecessary - /usr/lib/aout should be in the ldconfig path for
aout libraries, so dynamically-linked a.out binaries should look here by
default.

If this isn't the case, check to make sure you have upgraded everything in
/etc (not just 'make world', which doesn't touch /etc). The mergemaster port
is very good for helping merge changes. This is an essential part of an
upgrade, especially if you're jumping over a period of a month or more in your
OS versions.

Kris

-----
"That suit's sharper than a page of Oscar Wilde witticisms that's been
rolled up into a point, sprinkled with lemon juice and jabbed into
someone's eye"
"Wow, that's sharp!" - Ace Rimmer and the Cat, _Red Dwarf_