Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 18:16:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   POSIX TEST SUITE

I now have a copy of "Official NIST-PCTS:151-2 Version 1.8, 10/1/95",
the National Institute of STandards and Technology POSIX Conformance
Test Suite.

This looks like virtually the same set of test cases I ran against
UnixWare 1.x and 2.x for Novell/USG, from what I can see, with only
some slight additions here and there.

Note that we *should* be able to claim "POSIX conformance" (*NOT*
POSIX compliance or certification) if we pass this test suite with
no test exceptions.

If FreeBSD wants POSIX certification, then FreeBSD Inc. will still
have to pay for a certification run at an approved testing laboratory.

Obvoiusly, to run the suite requires a working TET/ETET framework,
preferrably TET3, available from the X/Open FTP site in the UK.

If you have a machine with a working TET/ETET (Test Environment Toolkit
or Extended Test Environment Toolkit) and are working on standards
compliance for NetBSD or OpenBSD, drop me a line.  Otherwise, I
probably won't want to hear you requesting a copy from me.  8-).

The current test case TET script code and data I have from NIST does
not have all of the riders, disclaimers, etc. that the final PCTS
release is supposed to have.  Because of that, I am unwilling to put
this up for general FTP anywhere.

When the final NIST release takes place, I would suggest committing
the code to the FreeBSD source tree.

In preparation, I'd like to suggest committing the TET code that the
PCTS requires (documents are online on the NIST WWW site with exact
version requirements) to the FreeBSD tree to support a commit of
the PCTS test cases themselves and the driver framework they are in
when they are officially published by NIST.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---