Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 13:34:37 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Greg Lewis' <glewis@ares.trc.adelaide.edu.au>

> > I am trying to get some form of infrastructure done to
> > support work on a unified BSD JDK port. The idea is to supply those
> > who are porting Sun's JDK to either FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and any
> > other platform I've forgotten with a single web site for status
> > reports and such. Unless someone steps forward on this ... *deafening
> > silence* ... I will take that up and multi-bsd my web pages.
>
> Good idea.  I'm happy to do patchsets for the other BSDs
> through my site if people would like.  That provides something which
> has already jumped through SCSL compliancy hoops.  Alternatively I'm
> happy to give whatever parts of the site people want to them.

Can I take you up on that offer? I'd like to see our sites merge, in one
form or another. I've also had some offers for mirroring and content editing
from others. It would be nice to combine the enthousiasm in some form or
another.

I would not mind trashing my look-n-feel for a more unified one for
starters. :) Anyone like to take a shot at that?

> > On top of that, I would really like to have a single
> > mailing list for these efforts, and I was wondering how much
> > objection there is to using our Java mailing list for that purpose.
>
> No objection.  Politically it might make NetBSD and OpenBSD
> people feel uncomfortable though.

Agreed. I thought of this before, but I decided that it would be a neat
little test to see how the FreeBSD camp regards offering other BSD's a peek
into their kitchen. Sorry about that, guys. I could not resist.

What I find extremely encouraging is that I have had not a single objection
or even "it's not going to work"--message. Amazing, I'm stunned. %-) There
must be genuine interest in the unified Java port.

\begin{flamebait}
I guess that this also shows that there is indeed a greater sense of
belonging between the BSD's than there is between the Linuxen. Greater
tolerance, at the very least.
\end{flamebait}

> In terms of the mailing list (and I'm happy to be the one to do this
> if its thought to be a good idea) I'd like to suggest
> approaching Daemon News to see if they are interested in hosting
> special purpose unified BSD mailing lists such as this.  Comments?

I'm trying to contact Chis Coleman on this one.
http://www.openpackages.org/java seems the perfect place to host both our
web sites, don't you think? And how would java@openpackages.org sound?

Let's see what he says first.

    Kees Jan

 TV is the worst  of both  worlds.  It's not  as
 good at words  as radio is because the pictures
 are a distraction  which demand  attention, and
 it's not as good as cinema because the pictures
 are not nearly as good.
                                 Douglas Adams