Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:56:40 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Hardware" <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Server MB suggestions?

	Ain't this the truth!

	When I worked for an ISP a while back, one of the former System
Administrators (when ya take over for three part timers, you expect to clean
up messes, but this was ridiculous...) had assembled a WinTel server in a
completely braindead fashion.

	I mean, how smart is it to build a Dual Celeron Domain Controller machine
with Socket 5 heatsink/fan hardware on the processors, and no other fans in
the entire machine aside from the power supply?  It got to the point where
management didn't want to do anything that cost money to make the machine
work right, and it was shutting down on a daily basis from thermal
problems... So, noting that there was an air conditioning vent close to
where the server was sitting, I took the side of the case and cut the bottom
out of it.  Replaced the side, parked the server over the AC vent and it
proceeded to run like a charm...

	A little forethought and planning when putting together a server can go a
LONG way...

--- Andy