Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 15:41:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        winter@jurai.net (Matthew N. Dodd)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

> On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> > Yes, I saw his message a week or two after I butchered it into FreeBSD ..
> > the comment was
> >
> > :This is an implementation of an idea that I believe was originally
> > :mentioned on the FreeBSD hackers mailing list.
> >
> > so I am suspecting that my work was the incentive for them to do this :-)
>
> Heh... I recalled seeing it mentioned on the lists here, and he was
> talking about tweaking newsserver performance etc and I mentioned that
> someone was talking about turning off ATIME updates.
>
> He had it working a few hours later if I recall correctly.

Ahhh, fascinating, the life cycle of a feature request :-)  ...

1)  Me getting curious and frustrated and butchering it in one day.
2)  Me mailing people about it.
3)  Other people talking to other people about it.
4)  Other people implementing it (hopefully properly) under Linux.
5)  Me blowing away my changes because I don't think they are correct.
6)  This all coming back to haunt me as something I started :-)

> > This is potentially a _great win_ for a reader machine with several
> > hundred active nnrp clients.
> >
> > This is not (much of) a win for a feeds system.
>
> Yes, but he saw an improvment in expire times.

... which I don't care about.  I expire every 3 hours anyways.

> Of course, two weeks later he got his DPT in and it didn't matter if
> ATIMEs were being written or not.

It still matters.  It is just less apparent.

> > > Nowhere near the
> > > improvements he got when he went RAID via DPT, but still, it was worth it.
> >
> > I want a DPT driver for FreeBSD...  if I had money, I would PAY someone to
> > do it...  but I don't have money.  :-(
>
> Say...  How much do you figure we can all raise?  I might be able to throw
> in $250 to $500.  (Dunno really, I'd have to convince my boss, and the
> fact that Linux and BSDI already have drivers is a strike against that...)

I don't know...  I don't have any money to work with unless Exec changes
their minds.. in which case I would probably just buy a SCSI-SCSI
controller anyways.

> > Yes, I did this too.
>
> Cool, I want your patches.

Sorry :-(  Blew them away when I upgraded the box to 2.1.5R.  I was
convinced that they were not the right way to do it and DG had mentioned
"almost" having it working, and I figured that somebody who had a clue
about FreeBSD/BSD system internals had a much better chance of getting
a technically correct implementation than I did.

> > It's icky, at least the way I did it.  DG had also worked on this and
> > I'd really really like to see his work....
>
> Yes, wasn't he talking about cleaning it up and commiting it?

> That would be a spiffy option to have out of box.

Agreed.

... JG