Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 11:26:35 -0500
From:      "Martin G. Bayerle" <bayerle@auidea.org>
To:        "Free BSD" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, "ISP CEO" <isp-ceo@sparknet.net>, "ISP Marketing" <isp-marketing@sparknet.net>, "Small Internet Access Providers" <IAP@VMA.CC.ND.EDU>
Subject:   Giving Public Service is Good Business

To All ISPs,

     The Internet Development and Exchange Association is cooperating
with the Ad Council to promote public service organizations on the
Internet. The Ad Council supports dozens of organizations and projects;
many of these are child advocacy campaigns.  While the Council has
websites for most of the projects it supports, they report that they have
had difficulty getting the sites noticed by Internet users.  In the
spirit of the Holiday season, IDEA has agreed to recruit volunteers from
our member network to  distribute public service message banners
hotlinked to these websites.

What You Can Do to Help ...

     IDEA is asking ISPs to place the banner ads in prominent positions
on the webpages which they typically assign as default homepages.  This
helps ensure that Internet users will see one public service message each
time they logon the Internet (provided they retained their assigned
default homepage).  Instructions for participating in this program and
placing the banners are on your website an be found at:

http://www.auidea.org/Members/geninfo.html#advertise

username: member
password: idea96

You need not be an IDEA Member to participate.

Who Pays? Who Profits? Who Benefits?

     Neither the Ad Council nor their supported organizations are
expected to pay anything for this public service.  ISPs do not pay any
fees to participate.  Your only cost is the time it takes to create the
link on your webpage.  So nobody pays and nobody profits, yet everybody
benefits. These valuable public service organizations increase their
exposure, and, together, we create a good public relations campaign for
participating ISPs and for the industry as a whole.

What Are IDEA's Goals For This Project?

     IDEA hopes to recruit at least 200 ISPs for this project within the
next week so we can develop a Holiday Season human interest story for the
national press.  Participating ISPs will receive a press release so they
can involve their local media as well.

Will This Project Fulfill My Public Service Obligation Under the IDEA Code
of Ethics?

     Yes.  IDEA members have an obligation under the Association's Code
of Ethics to use their distinctive capabilities to provide public
service.  IDEA believes in the value of public service, and ISPs have
unique capabilities that allow them to serve the public interest in ways
that other entities cannot.  ISPs who use their capabilities to benefit
their communities reap what they sow: good will from their communities,
customers, nation, and neighbors.

Do I Receive Any Tangible Benefits From This Project?

     Well, that's not exactly in the Spirit of the Season, but yes and
no.  ISPs will benefit when they demonstrate that a network of local ISPs
can provide more exposure for national campaigns than even popular search
engines such as Yahoo! or Webcrawler.  The tangible fruits of our labor
will follow ...

Happy Holidays

Martin

|_ _| _ \  __|   \     Martin G. Bayerle, Executive Director    |
|  |  |  | _|   _ \ Internet Development & Exchange Association |
|___|___/ ___|_/  _\      5006 Grand Central Station Drive      |
| bayerle@auidea.org     Morgantown, WV 26505  304 292-6736     |
|PGP Fngrprnt =  8A 71 8B 59 1D DD 8D DB B5 AE 52 40 3B 20 28 87|