Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:32:33 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Major bumping of libFOO

In message <20010214232503.A65907@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
: On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 03:45:57PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
: > Here's a patch that I think will fix the major breakage with major
: > library versions.
:
: I haven't tried to build -current for a few days now.  Can you summerize
: what breakage you are seeing?

The problem is that new libFOO.so.N have references to
__std{in,out,err}, instantly breaking all old binaries on the system.

Eg, libcam.so.2 used to have __sF, which as defined in libc.so.[345].
However, after the bump to lib.so.5.XXXXXXX and rebuild the world,
libcam.so.2 now references __std*.  For apps that were linked before
against libc.so.[345], this causes undefined symbols at runtime.

Repeat for many other libraries than libcam.

Warner