Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:33:07 -0600
From:      "David S. Besade" <webmaster@machowto.com>
To:        <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   A Little Update

Hey Guys,

I thought I would give the developers a little heads up on my progress
through Beta-3 to RC1. I know you probably have your own test machines,
however I have been waiting for a Tier 1 release since FreeBSD 4.4 and now
that I have the time to help.. I am going to try.

**
Machine Specs
**
iMac DV Special Edition
400Mhz G3
384MB PC100 RAM
Dual USB
Dual Firewire
10/100 Ethernet
8MB Rage 128
Slot Load DVD

**
How I installed Ports
**
I Just FTP'd into the FreeBSD Main server and downloaded ports.tar.gz. Then,
after installing wget, I used csup to install the source and update ports.
Works great. No Problems. If you all need someone to start going through
ports and test compiling everything, let me know, this is a local machine
and I can work on that and send in the logs for the failures.

**
Installing the stuff the installer doesn't
**
After I got the source downloaded, I went through and installed the man
files, dict (for pico and iSpell), and various other trinkets including
OpenSSL and the like although I installed perl from ports for ease of
upgrading later if needed.

So Far everything has been stable, I am going to compile a optimized kernel
tonight to help with build speeds as I don't need the debug output to test
build. I have been working on a Quad Xeon and the AMD64 port as well, good
stuff they got ACPI sorta working ;).

A Big Thank you to Peter & Crew for making this happen.

-Dave