Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 21:12:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian McGroarty <bvmcg@yahoo.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3D board for XFree86 GLX - Please recommend

I don't know anything about the UNIBUS - what was the concept
there?

For passive components, there's pretty much no difference
between AGP and PCI. With the early video cards, they pretty
much put different connecters on the cards to be able to sell an
AGP card as soon as possible.

With newer cards, some of the main advantages are:

Shorter prologs/epilogs for DMA operations - this allows more
effective scatter gather operations.

Of AGP, PCI, RAM and the CPU, two pairs of two can be
communicating with each other at once - this means AGP can talk
to RAM while the CPU is bothering itself with PCI components.
Ditto AGP and PCI communicating while the CPU's banging on RAM.

AGP can transfer data on the rise and fall of a clock cycle -
66mhz * 64 bit * 2 xfers. (I'm not sure how widely implemented
this last is.)