Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 07:02:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

>From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
>Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:55 -0700 (PDT)

>Another thing that ISP coulds start doing (we are in process with
>this now, but on a monitoring only basis, instead of a deny we
>just log them) is to block all outbound from AS tcp 25 setup packets.

Not quite sure I follow this.

>This prevents your customers from being something that could get you
>on the RBL or the DUL MAP for bad behavior, it also inforces the use
>of your smart host relay, as it/they is/are the only way to get a
>tcp port 25 setup completed.

About the only positive thing I have to say about the DUL is that Vix
stated that entries are placed on it at the request of the custodians of
the netblock in question.

>Do you know about the RBL?  How do you feel about it?  We are using
>it via DNS and BGP on a test basis right now.    I have had legitimate
>important mail blocked at Freebsd.org due to the source being on the
>RBL, but that is a price I am willing to pay.

I'm far more comfortable with the use of the RBL than the DUL.

Indeed, my externally-visible home SMTP server uses the RBL (but not the
DUL).

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915