Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 10:37:20 -0400
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Reentry-Recursion-dusty books version

Dusty book is: An Introduction to Operating Systems, revised 1st ED.
               Harvy M. Deitel, ISBN: 0-201-14501-4
               Including Case Studies in: UNIX, VAX, CP/M, MVS, VM

The short definition: "Code that cannot be changed while in use os
said to be *reentrant*. Code that may be changed but is reinitialized
each time it is used is said to *serially reusable*. Reentrant code may
be shared by several processes simultaneously whereas serially reusable
code may be used by one process at a time." p.131

Now there are a mess of data structures associated with using the above.
And the OS tries to handle interrupts, both maskable and unmaskable.
That is for later.

Also, one must allow for the serial process and deadlock. To keep this
short and to the point I will say that part of the problem with x86
hardware is a bad design in the way it/they handle interrupts, both
hardware and software. Intel laid this egg back in the CP/M days and
has tinkered around it ever since.

-dutch/more coffee/collins