Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:01:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jamie Ostrowski <jamie@gnulife.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading Openssh on FreeBSD 4.5

       I am trying to upgrade openssh to 3.4p1 on a FreeBSD 4.5 install. I
installed the stock "Development" package during the install and left
everything else untouched. After I was done installing, I performed the
following:

 1. cvsup'ed to the latest version of the source / ports
 2. Made sure that the /usr/ports/security/openssh-portable/ Makefile has
   PORTVERSION= 3.4p1
 3. typed "make OPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE=YES"
 4. then typed "make OPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE=YES install"
 5. typed reset
 6. ps -axx | grep sshd
 7. kill -HUP of sshd
 8. telnet localhost 22
It came back with:
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.4p1

    So far so good. When I try to connect from any other system though,
response is erratic. Sometimes it lets us log in right away, other times
the client will just sit and hang there. We have tried connecting from
several different FreeBSD clients. It works properly about 50% of the
time, it logs in and connects without any error.

     When I try to ssh -v from one of the clients, this is the response I
get when it is hanging:

mirage# ssh -v remotehost.foobar.net
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0 green@FreeBSD.org 20010321, protocol versions
1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090600f).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to remotehost.foobar.net [199.20.30.21] port 22.
debug: Allocated local port 934.

   --and it sits there.

   The other 50% of the time it goes right in.

    I do not believe this is a network traffic problem. ssh worked fine on
the machine before I did the upgrade. Is there something I did wrong
during the install? Anyone have any ideas on how I might troubleshoot
this?

Thanks!

       - Jamie