Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 07:41:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        bad@uhf.wireless.net (Bernie Doehner)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: any other Wincast/mono owners out there? (+ STB WinTV not keeping sync?)

> Hi:
>
> Just wondering, am I the only person running a Wincast/mono under FreeBSD?
>
> If you also have one under FreeBSD, PLEASE drop me a line.
>
> After finaly getting the tuner coded correctly for my Wincast/mono (probe
> was incorrectly detecting as Temic PAL), I could pick up one strong local
> UHF channel, but this card was having a difficult time keeping vertical
> sync (picture was jittery in the vertical direction).

I have a Hauppauge WinTV but there should be no difference for the
problems you report.

try to add BT848_ADC_SYNC_T in the defininition of SYNC_LEVEL; this
reduces the threshold for sync levels from 125mf to 75mf, and it helps
a lot here.

Also, I am a bit uncertain if BT848_ADC_CRUSH should really be used
there, because it adds a sort of AGC which (apparently at least) only
works in the direction of reducing sensitivity.

> Also, the VHF offsets seem to be off, because I could get channel 10,12
> (which are copyable on a TV through the same antenna).

yes, I noticed that, you can specify the frequency and it should work.

> Steve mentioned that the STB card he used to have had a lot more trouble
> syncing that his current wincast/tv dbx. I wonder if that is generaly true
> or if maybe some of you with newer STB cards can comment on wether STB's
> still have more trouble locking than Wincasts.
>
> I am wondering if the failure to sync is a reflection on product quality
> or just poor quality control.

I guess just pooor sensitivity. The Hauppauge (temic tuner) is not
impressive either.

	Cheers
	Luigi