Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 19:58:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Acrobat Reader 3.0 Beta for Linux! (fwd)]

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Julian Elischer stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I saw this on c.o.l.a.  Now you can read encrypted pdf file on FreeBSD
> > via Linux emulation.  I installed it on crab and it seems to work fine
> > as long as you have the required shared libs for linux.

I'd like to comment:  Notice the wording in the announcement and on
Adobe's Web page which says it _only_ has been tested on Yggdrasil Fall
edition.  Does that give you an indication how _afraid_ commercial authors
are of claiming support for the divergent varieties of Linux distributions
out there that they haven't tested?

Having a single distribution of FreeBSD has always been a _big_ win for
us, IMHO. However the fact that FreeBSD runs a variety of different Linux
versions and is nowhere near 100% compatible from a userland perspective,
implies that the differences between the various Linux flavors are
unlikely to cause programs like Acrobat Reader much trouble.  Therefore it
appears that commercial vendors only "support" a single Linux flavor for
political, rather than technical reasons....

> It has been possible to read encrypted PDF files on FreeBSD using ghostscript
> and gv or ghostview for quite some time now.  It would be nice if apsfilter
> recognised PDF so that one could just print the junk rather than having to
> translate it first.

I was not aware of this...  (blatant plug:  right now I'm maintaining a
Ghostscript distribution for BeOS, see www.be.com for more info).

> (Note that due to the interesting american laws regarding encryption
>  technology, the PDF decoding code isn't included in the stock gs release.
>  I wonder how Adobe get around this...)

I've heard that if you _only_ do decryption, you can apply for an export
permit.  As long as your program can't be used to encrypt anything.
Silly law, really...

-- Jake