Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 2020 07:22:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question about Security Advisories

The SMUP (single monolithic update procedure) was implemented several
years ago IIRC.  At the time it was explained that there were
insufficient staff resources to continue doing QA for incremental
builds, even ones as simple as usr.bin/gzip.  That said it is still just
as straightforward to it yourself.

What I wonder is why staff is so resource constrained?  Is it
fundamentally due to a broken funding model?  Are potential volunteers
turned away for not having submitted enough patches and other
questionable policy hurdles?   Are there other organizational reasons
why such burdensome upgrades are left for end-users?

A lot of this maintenance hassle will someday be resolved with base
packages but even that project has been resource constrained.  The
FreeBSD Foundation has not, to the best of my knowledge, commented on
these resource constraints or potential resolutions.  Quarterly and
Annual reports occasionally mention them but only in passing.  How
do we get someone on the Board/Foundation who is willing and able to
prioritize these important issues?

Roger Marquis