Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:41:43 -0300 (BRST)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>, Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>, Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Design a journalled file system

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 06:32 AM 2/26/2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> >Note that IBM's release of the OS/2 JFS under the GPL throws
> >it in the same position (replace "AIX" in the second paragraph
> >up from this one with "IRIX").
>
> It was tragic that this happened. IBM, of all companies, should
> have known better than to stamp the GPL on its code.

The GPL makes a lot of business sense:

1. everybody can include your code in products and sell
   it  (just like the BSD license)

2. everybody can change your code and sell the changed
   version (just like the BSD license)

3. however, improvements to the code will be available to
   everbody; nobody will be able to take away IBM's market
   using an improved version of their product -- IBM itself
   will also have the improved code  (different from BSD)

Can you really blame them for chosing this option ?

[Don't take me wrong, I think the BSD license is great for many
 things ... but this just doesn't seem to be one of them after
 looking at the business risk for a few seconds]

regards,

Rik
--
Linux MM bugzilla: http://linux-mm.org/bugzilla.shtml