Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 23:58:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>
To:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   sharing files within a cluster

I'm still stymied by the problem of how to share files across
machines without having a third (and forth!) machine acting as a
disk server.

I looked into the Coda file system.  It's beta code and fairly
complicated to set up and it's unclear to me whether it will do what's
necessary.

Let's say I have 2 boxes sharing the load.  Each box runs a mailer.  A
message could arrive at either box.  How should these two mailers
share a single user's mailbox?

Similar problem with users who log in to their shell account, how can
they get at their files from either box?

Again, a similar problem with web stuff that accesses a database like
an mldbm file.

And for easier management, certain conf files are identical across the
machines, when modified, the one on the other machine should also get
modified. The password and aliases files comes to mind as examples,
there are pleanty more.

The more I think about this problem, the more I become convinced that
there's definitely a need for some shared writable storage.  But how?

Michael Grant