Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 01:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= <mikko@rsasecurity.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/17694: wcstombs() and mbstowcs() unable to handle NULL argument

The following reply was made to PR bin/17694; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= <mikko@rsasecurity.com>
To: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: bin/17694: wcstombs() and mbstowcs() unable to handle NULL
 argument
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:08:34 +0200 (MET DST)

 On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Bruce Evans wrote:

 > On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Mikko Työläjärvi wrote:
 >
 > > <whine>
 > > But everybody else has it...
 > > </whine>
 > >
 > > Seriously, though: I have not been able to find *any* other
 > > implementation that does not support this behaviour (HP-UX, AIX, Irix,
 > > Solaris and Linux/RH6.1).  They must have gotten the idea *somewhere*...
 >
 > It doesn't seem to be in glibc-2.1.1 either.

 Oh, it is there alright, but not documented in the info files (RH must
 be rolling their own man-pages?).  Follow "stdlib/wcstombs.c" to
 "wcsmbs/wcsrtombs.c", search for "NULL special".  No mention of why
 they do it, though.

 MSVC++ 6.0 does it too (might be a hint where it comes from :-( ).
 Finally, I did find another system that does not handle the NULL case,
 according to its documentation at least: DEC (i.e. Compaq whatever).

 Never mind.

 	/Mikko

  Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com
  RSA Security