Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 11:00:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1R vs 050196SNAP

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Dennis wrote:

> Can anyone, in a nutshell please, give me a simple bullet list of the
> most compelling reasons (excluding obscure device support) to
> run the SNAP over 2.1R.
>
> thanks,
>
> Dennis
> Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

I found the 5/1 SNAP particularly stable but of course your mileage may
vary.  I recommend you test it on a non-critical machine before you even
think about using it in production, just in case your configuration isn't
quite compatible.  FreeBSD-STABLE is of course a better choice for an ISP.

Having said that, the advantages of -CURRENT:

1) PHK's improved RAM-efficient malloc.  This, combined with much
improved VM code, means the system swaps less and performs faster.

2) New versions of software (e.g. sendmail), bugs fixed.  But then again,
any critical bugs/security patches have been integrated into
FreeBSD-STABLE.

3) Much better Linux support.  Now runs ELF and a.out binaries.  Even
FreeBSD-native ELF binaries can be created (with the ELFkit).  Supports
sound under Linux DOOM!

That's about it.  But I do like this latest SNAP and I've had great
success running it at home.  If you have a spare machine that is not
running anything "mission critical" I would recommend it.

---Jake