Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 1995 15:57:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@bigdipper.umd.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   GUS question and LPT question

Hey all - on my 2.1-development system (Jan2 or so kernel), I am trying
to get my sound cards to work.  I have both a GUS and a PAS16 in my
machine.  I have compiled in support in my kernel like this:

device snd4 at isa? port 0x240 irq 15 drq 6 vector gusintr
device snd3 at isa? port 0x388 irq 10 drq 7 vector pasintr
device snd2 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr

All three devices get recognized at boot time.  I am not sure, however,
how to differentiate between tvarious devices MAKEDEV has created for
them - that is, how do I know which audio, audio or audio1 is my PAS or
my GUS?  Also, there is a dsp, dsp1, and a dsp16.  Finally there is a
midi, a mixer and a mixer1.

Experimenting a bit shows that the only devices I can get to work are
dsp1 and audio - everything else results in strange screechy noises from
the speakers (very GUS-like screeches, when it plays back random data in
its memory).

In any case, any idea on how to get things working?  I remember a
conversation a while back about incorrect init of the GUS with these
drivers - is that the situation here?

Thanks all...

Second question - I have found that with the following device in my kernel:

device          lpt0    at isa? port "IO_LPT1" tty irq7 vector lptintr

I can only print in polled mode - if I switch to interrupt driven mode
(lptcontrol -i) the printer takes hours to print even one small line.
Polled mode, however seems to work OK.  Then I noticed a conversation in
which someone stated that we sould not be using irqs for printing at
all.  So what should I do - what is the "correct" way to set up my printer?

Thanks

 | Al Dhir, Programmer Analyst        /___\    UMCP Ag-Engineering Dept    |
 | Internet: adhir@bigdipper.umd.edu  (o o)    (301) 405-1197              |