Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:40:39 -0400
From:      gwh@spiders.com (Gene W Homicki)
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        pst@shockwave.com, CVS-commiters@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT modules

 +---
 | Although I presonally think Apache is better, I agree that the CERN
 | server should be in ports.  There are many people who still use it.  (but
 | no, I'm not offering my services as a maintainer!)
 +---

	A big reason to keep the CERN server around is that its not
only a WWW server, it it is a proxy server.  To my knowledge, none of
the other freely available servers can act as a caching proxy, which
is important in some enviornments...including some ISPs.

						--Gene

PS. For those not familiar with proxy server, here's a short
description of what it does:  user HTTP, Gopher, and FTP requests can
be directed at the proxy sever.  The proxy then fetches the document,
caches it locally, and returns a copy to the requesting client.  If
another client requests the document soon after the first (and the
document hasn't expired or been bumped out of the proxy servers
cache), the document is delivered from the proxy servers cache, rather
than fetching a copy of the original.  For a large ISP, this can be a big win
on conserving bandwidth.

--
Gene W. Homicki                               gwh@spiders.com
Objective Consulting, Inc.                    http://www.spiders.com/