Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 16:08:03 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha package building status

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:57:47PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>=20
> If somebody can take me by the hand & tell me how to build & install
> ports in a sandbox, I might be able to look into the gnome issuse.
> (I use gnome as my desktop &  I don't want to collide with my working
> desktop).

A simple way to do it is to installworld into a subdirectory with

make DESTDIR=3D/usr/chroot installworld

(or unpack a binary distribution if you have one), then do a chroot or
jail to restrict into it and build ports normally.  You can save time
by using pkg_add within the jail to install dependencies you don't
want to rebuild them.

> As for KDE, I'm most of the way through koffice so far, no problems
> yet.  I don't know why kdenetwork is blowing up for you.  How much
> memory & swap do you have on the boxes you are building on?

Hmm, that build log does look weird.  I'll try rebuilding it again.

The build machines have 128MB RAM and 1GB swap (which they don't seem
to be using excessively).  I have had problems with the hard disks
filling up, but I don't think that happened here.

Kris

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--