Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:44:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        xavian anderson macpherson <professional3d@home.com>
Cc:        Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum question

On Monday,  2 October 2000 at 18:13:16 -0700, xavian anderson macpherson wrote:

It would be nice if you'd send plain text messages.  We're even
considering rejecting other content types, because it means that
messages appended by the mailer get lost.  For example, at the end of
this message you'll see information about how to unsubscribe.  That's
missing from your messages.

Also, I find your mail format very difficult to follow.  See the URL
above for what to do about that.  I've tried to rearrange things the
way it probably happened.

> let me state once more that i have the book and am reading it!  i
> brought the 10cd power-pak. i like the manual.  it was because of
> the manual that i brought the power-pak.  so much for the guy who
> said i was lazy for not reading.  if i didn't want to read, and
> didn't think that i should have to, i wouldn't have brought the
> book.  i tried to download the freebsd kernel from the web.  but i
> could make heads or tails of it.  i was expecting to find the kernel
> to be one contiguous unit as it is in linux.  now maybe it is.  but
> what i found was kernel modules as they would appear in linux after
> the kernel and it's components had been compiled.  i didn't find any
> file of the size that i expected the kernel to be (17-21MB's for
> linux).  it was because of this recognition, that i was erroneously
> applying concepts from one system to another, that i chose to admit
> that i don't know what i am doing.  it is also because of this that
> i am approaching this (installation) with great trepidation.

I don't really understand this.  You have the book, you've read it,
but what you're describing here is different from anything in the
book.

> Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com> wrote;
>>
>> After you install, the kld should be in /modules/vinum.ko.  According
>> what I just read, you should not even have to explicitly  load the
>> module.  When you try to use vinum, it will automatically be loaded.
>> You do not have to do anything special to install the kld.  Just
>> install the OS, and you will be able to run vinum.

Yes, this is correct.

> thank you.  the reason why i did not proceed, was that with linux,
> if you change the definition of the partition type, after it's
> initial declaration, you inevitably erase all the data on the
> partition.

I'm not sure that this is true even in Linux.  It isn't in FreeBSD,
but since it has nothing to do with the text above, I wonder whether
you've misunderstood something, or whether we're just having difficult
communicating.

> in linux, my system (kernel) is VALHALA, my volume group was `ODIN'.
> the physical volumes were `THOR'.   such that  the labels went like
> this;
>
>     /dev/ODIN/THOR01, /THOR02, /THOR03, etc.

This doesn't look like any Linux I've seen.  Are you confusing kernels
and root file systems?

> that was very simple and straight-forward.  it didn't require a math
> degree to interpret this.  it is done at the time of the initial
> installation.  you did not first load (any) data on the partitions and
> then go back and relabel them, for the very reasons already stated
> above.  if freebsd is different, great!  but i have not read where that
> is the case.  and it would not be ligitimate for me to assume so.  in
> fact, i assume the worst, and expect it.

I really have the feeling that I'm don't understand what you say.
Could you please start again, explain clearly and concisely what you
want to do, and what your concerns are?

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.