Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 14:46:32 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        BSD <bsd@shell-server.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another 4.1-S panic (full report)

At 02:06 PM 10/1/00 -0500, BSD wrote:

>         So...given these later commits, I should be fine with softupdates
>now, no?

Maybe.  Others may have made an appearance or the VIA chipset may be an
issue.  Regardless, the suggestion was to narrow down things and if it
still panics, I'll bet the trace is shorter.  That would help those better
suited to diagnose things.

>         Exactly why I disable the work-around code with NO_F00F_HACK
>option :)

Arrgh!  The NO_ part just bit my NOse.

>         Good point here though.  I haven't had the best of luck with the
>syscons driver, it seems very touchy about its options.  There, deleted
>all syscons options.  Defaults are wonderful. :)  2 reboots from now we'll
>see if these changes failed to do anthing vs the rebooting problem.

Mine is set for 200 lines and allows enough to go back.

Would suggest a different network card, if you suspect that.  Missed out on
the hardware combinations with the Intel card that troubled others and
your's doesn't look to be one of them.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve